Encouraged by a post in the german PublishingBlog about the new SVG fonts in Adobe InDesign, I have executed some tests myself with the Adobe font Trajan Color in InDesign CC 2019 and have discovered some strange things in the exported PDF/X-4 file:
- The OpenType font is converted to a Type3 font during export.
- Different representation in Adobe Acrobat (left) and Apple Preview (right):
- In Acrobat Pro an error message is displayed for each character of this font used in the PDF when opening (and sometimes also closing) the document.
- There are different error messages for PDFs with crop marks (left) and PDFs without crop marks (right):
- There are no error messages in Adobe Reader.
UPDATE: I have found the orgin of the error messages created by PDFs with the SVG font Trojan Color in Acrobat DC and XI. It’s the PitStop plugin. If I remove the Enfocus folder from the Plugins folder I don’t get any error messages any more.
I will let Enfocus know…